Found small salamander today

J

jonathan

Hi Everyone

I am a newbie here - this is my first post - I have a question to pose.

My son and I were out fishing today in a pond that is almost totally drained. We found in the run-off rocks a small salamander. We brought it home and put it in with his tadpoles. I feed the tadpoles boiled cabbage/spinach - but what do I feed a very very small salamander?

I live in the Raleigh area of North Carolina.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Salamanders in general are not fully aquatic, I would suggest releasing the little guy as keeping him may introduce foreign illness and kill him, OR he may get sick without you knowing, you release him and he gets the rest of the population sick and there is an ecologic disaster. Keeping wildlife is very illegal in many areas, and some species are protected with heavy fines and other repercutions(SP?) If you are really set on a salamander/newt I would suggest a firebelly newt, cheap and easy to care for.....

could you give us a description of the colouration, some measurements, but as you know a picture tells a thousand words! we can then tell you if it is a legal species, being british i'm not sure of the laws concerning amphibians in North Carolina, but other will.

Definitely need a pic, NC has so many species. Odds are though, based on your description of the habitat, it's not one of their protected species.

RUSS

Wow - thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll post a photo tomorrow - right now the guy is in my son's room and he is sleeping.

He is about an inch long - maybe - and of-course he still has the feathery gills. I found him in a man-made run-off culvert which will be bone dry in a week, so it worked out well for the little guy. He is just like the kind I caught as a kid, sort of a dark green mix. I'll post a photo tomorrow after work, probably around 6 pm EST.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

I am trying to post a photo - let me know if you can see it - I can't!

Thanks
31702.jpg

There it is!

Okay - he is medium green in color, between 3/4 and 1 inch long, tiny legs, feathery gills, and faster than greased lightening.

Any ideas?

I would guess a Eurycea based on the head/body shape (but then I have always been lousy iding laral salamanders).

Ed

I'd go with Ed's guess. Make sure to post a pic after it morphs.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back