Red eft question...and now there are 3?

M

meghan

Question guys... I collected 4 red efts recently and this morning I checked on my little guys. I had 4 last night, today there are 3. I'm certainly not ruling out an escape but whoa!!! ... I've got a large one that looks bigger around today unless I'm imagining things. Would they turn on each other like that and eat a fellow eft?

For now, I'm keeping them in a very large tall plastic container with moist/wet soil and leaves. Small shallow dish with pebbles and water. I have no idea how anything could climb out of this container. The sides are slick, BUT you never know. I'm hoping my beagle didn't find it....

I've seen newts scale glass...easy. Learned that the hard way. Sorry to be pessimistic...but look around under the furniture or near the bathroom for a piece of jerky before you rule out escape.

I had an A. macrodactylum that climbed out of a 1 gallon bucket, across the table, down the chair, and halfway across the kitchen in a matter of minutes. One of my A. jeffersonianum pulled a Houdini one night and was never seen again.

a few years ago, i had a red eft in a small tank, without a lid. he managed to climb out, up to my window sill, and i found him all dried up. he was, in fact, like a peice of salamander jerky.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back