Fire bellied newts living with other creatures in captivity?

S

samuel

i have a 60 litre filtered tank with live plants in and 2 juvanile fire bellied newts, will they live with any other creatures? small fish? other newts/amphibians?

I agree. The only animals I have kept with newts, and been happy about in the long run, have been freshwater shrimps, white cloud mountain minnows, and common (small) snails. For most other animals you can think of, there is some potential for problems, sooner or later.

If your newts are newly-acquired, give them at least a couple of months to get acclimated before thinking about adding any other creatures.

For more info, also see the FAQ:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

thanks for the info girls, also, the slightly smaller one spends all his time on the log not really moving and i am worried he is not eating, he is never in the water, where as the other one is in the water all the time looking happy and i have seen him eat the bloodworms, i chopped up a small earthworm after rinsing it in de-chlorinated water and put the bits next to his head on the log, he still isnt interested, any ideas?

Try giving it live black worms, they are small and commonly accepted by newts as food.

Yeah, blackworms are a good bet, and keep trying with the earthworm pieces.

Another approach would be to force the newt to stay in water. Once there, it's more likely to eat.

thanks again peoples, i am happy to say i witnessed the little fella eating up the earthworm bits, and i think he;s been on the bloodworm too, my next dilema is how to keep the tank at the desired cooler temperature, sum sites recomend putting ice in the water, but this seems like an in-efficient way of maintaining a low temp, can aquarium coolers be baught? i cant find any? also how many newts can i keep in a 60 gallon tank? cheers me dears..

P.S. any actual brand names of coolers would help..oh and, will they tolerate the slight current from the filter, i havnt ..put them in the main tank yet, waiting for the nitrate cicle to kick in and PH levels to stabalise, sumone said 8 is a good PH level, surely not!? i would have thought 'newt'-ral 7 is best,,, and i lowered the land so that ther is about 1 centimeter of shallow water, but haha he just climbed onto the vertical side of the tank, he seems determined to stay out of water, will this fear of water prevent it breeding, plus

helo me again, new pic and name tho, also the newt has just in the last few minutes came of the side and is swimming around the edges looking rather distressed, i hope he wont exhaust himself and drown??

The newt isn't likely to drown, as long as it has a resting place. Ideally, give it a wet resting place where it can sit, but cannot dry out.

Aquarium chillers can be bought, but are expensive. You can probably keep the newts cool enough using homegrown methods. See the 3rd question here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQhou.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back