Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Taricha has some strange discoloration! Help!

J

jeff

I noticed on friday that my guy has these brown/black spots..
29480.jpg

What the heck is this, I have never seen this before, and its not "dirt". He is looking ok but I am worried, I hope he is about to shed or something but I have never seen this before! Help!! also, you can kinda see a dark band going lengthwise on the underside of his tail, I sure this is also new, and im not sure it its related. Any help would be greaty needed!

P

pin-pin

Jeff, can you get a better photo? It almost looks like a skin ulcer near the left leg of your guy.

The dark band on his tail is nothing to worry about, it is a common trait in Tarichas/salamanders to have a band across the cloaca.

J

jennifer

I've never kept Tarichas, so the photo doesn't help me much. But I can tell you from reading this forum for way-too-long that the issue of "mysterious black spots on my Taricha" has come up a number of times. It goes away after the animal sheds, or so I'm told. I don't know for certain if this is what you are seeing or not.

H

hayden

Mine have had black spots on thier backs before they shed but never on their stomachs. Try waiting til it sheds. Then we will know if it is something more serious. His left leg doesnt look good. Is it red or just maybe the flash?

C

carly

Mine gets those spots too and they go away after he sheds. I worried about it too, and actually he only started getting them when I moved here, where I have city water. Before his tank had well water. Not sure if that correlates, but you never know.

(Message edited by carlotta on January 20, 2005)

J

jeff

well they don't seem to be getting bigger, and I know for a fact he hasn't shed in a while. The weather here has been crazy over the last week, so I wonder if he was stressed by the changing of temperatures and released a "toxin bubble" under his ready to be shed skin or something.

I know the picture is bad, my camera is really hard to take closeups on, but there is nothing wrong with his leg. I'll post as son as I see a change. Thanks everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1