Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fussy Paramesotriton

C

chris

The problem is that my LTC P. chinensis male is suddenly extremely fussy about food. When I drop earthworms (NOT those which excrete toxins) and defrosted bloodworm in front of him, he runs up to the worm, snaps it up, mouths it for a while, drops it and walks away. He ignores bloodworms completely as far as I can tell. Any ideas why?
Chris

A

anthony

hi chris have you tried any of the frozen discus foods he might want a change.
tony.

J

john

try chopped up wax worms or whole wax worms if hes big enough. Mine love wax worms. Try some crickets too. pinnheads or just regular small crickets.

TJ

Reaction score
Are you trying to feed him on land, in the water, or both? My chinensis eat frozen bloodworm in the water...

M

mark

You have had him for a while and this is a new occurrence? From what you describe, I do not believe that he just wants a change of food. I dont think that once a newt decides to eat something that he has eaten many times before, he will just spit it out, unless something is wrong. Perhaps a throat or digestive problem of some sort. I would try cutting the same foods extremely small before feeding; maybe he has a "sore throat", that could have been caused by something he may have eaten a while back, and now it hurts to eat something big... These are just what would cross my mind.
The fact that he still runs up to it and grabs it shows that he is not disinterested, so I doubt it is any major problem.

C

chris

I am feeding him in the water. He is obviously hungry, but is very shy. Once he has refused one item, he becomes very timid and turns away from anything else...I will try chunks of lob worm, rather than whole smaller lumbricus...
This has always been a very temperamental animal, and also very unpredictable. If kept with the female he becomes very aggressive and develops a ravenous appetite. Obviously he is now seperated, and has now become timid and seems more stressed than before....as Henk Wallays said 'I may just have a crazy Paramesotriton'....

He only seems to react to moving food, but I may try some catfish pellets...

He seems in perfect health apart from this one problem. I will persist...

Thanks for the help
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!