Eep! Help please! Oriental firebelly newts arriving today! BUT...

A

amber

I haven't had time to go collect some food for them!

I remembered EVERYTHING else, tank is cycled and set up properly, filter, plants everything.

But I forgot to get some food! *is kicking self*
I have an order of pellets and dendro worms arriving on Friday, but what can I do meanwhile???
I'm at college until late this afternoon, and then I have to rush home to be in time to receive them - so I haven't time to go to the baitery or pet store before it closes...

I do have all kinds of fish food in the house, flakes, algae tablets, tubifex cubes etc...
Would they eat anything like this for the next couple of days?

The sooner the reply the better - *laughs* I can't sneak on often at college...

Thanks!

Do you have a garden?

spade + garden = worms
happy.gif

*laughs*
Nice one! I didn't think of that.
Mind you, they're only small newties...
Might be awkward trying to get them to eat it, even chopped up.
I gather they've only had live strained bloodworm laid on land so far.

Worth a try though, thank you!
I'll see if my partner will enjoy grabbing a trowel!

if the are small and still terrestrial then pellets won't be much use , on land they will need to see the food moving. They aren't going to starve in a couple of days so waiting until friday won't be a problem. They can be kept in shallow water with a small island to climb out onto it is easier to feed them this way and they tend to grow faster ,whilst they are in water they can be trained onto frozen food then pellets.

They're very happy to swim around, but they do have plenty of land to climb out on.
They're both about 2.5" long, the bigger one likes to sit with its (probably HER)head out of the water.

they should take small chopped earth worms at that size and should also feed in the water. the ones i had hardly left the water at all. Blood worm is probably your best bet for now.

Thanks for all the advice.
Braeburn and Smith are happily settling in now, and my partner has offered to go buy them some bloodworms in the morning.
They ate late on Monday, so they'll be ok 'til then.

Smith rather likes pottering about in the water, and Braeburns's just LAAAZY.
She's not one of these scared of water, she's just comfy.
She went for a paddle already.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back