MUDPUPPY TEMPTERATURE

A

austin

hey everyone, iwas thinking of getting a mud puppy and the one at the store is 10 inches long, i wanted to put it in with my bala shark which is 9 1/2 inchs long. and i was wondering if the mud puppy would be ok in a tank that always has the temp set inbetween 72-73. i know its probably a stupid question but i cant find care sheets anywhere for these guys! thanks!

Never mix species, if they don't kill eachother they'll stress the heck out of eachother. I once went to a pet store which had paddletails and plueros in the same tank, even though they were roughly the same size all the plueros were dead or severely mutilated. And though I have never kept them, I have a feeling that a mudpuppy, like most temperate sals, would be unhappy at such warm temps.

you will find that the mudpuppy will eat the shark, they need rather cool water from what i can remember

I don't believe that a mudpuppy could eat a 9 inch fish, but the temperature would definately be too high. A study that was done found almost no activity of Necturus when temperatures exceeded 20C (~70F). Further, a 9 inch fish could potentially do damage to the gills on the mudpuppy.

Everyone I've talked to has told me mudpuppies need water in the high fifties or low 60's. Mine is usually about 62.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back