Please identify this salamander

R

robin_k

This salamander was found in its aquatic state in mountainous Cunningham Falls State Park, Maryland. There were hundreds of identical salamanders in this one area. I think he is a salamander because he had external gills as a baby, and he lost them during metamorphosis. Six months later he has recently became terrestrial, and is probably 4.5 inches long. He was 1 inch long when I found him! He spends most of his time out of the water now, and he is very fast. Any idea what he is?

I could provide a pic of what he looked like when we found him, or any other information.

53920.jpg

P.S. I think I may know what he is, but I want unbiased opinions. : )

you should probably wait for a professional opinion on here but it looks an awful lot like the striped salamanders I find under the rocks near the delaware river in PA! They're fast lil buggers.. I'll check back for sure 'cause I'm curious to see exactly what kind it is! Take care!
happy.gif

Ok, here goes... I would be confident in saying that the individual is a Euryca bislineata(two lined salamder).

(Message edited by newtsrfun on February 16, 2006)

Which is why it is the same as the ones seen by Danielle near the Delaware.

Ed

So, Ed, you agree with Jeff? Is it a southern two-lined, or just a two-lined?

Based on the location It does not seem that it is a southern subspecies. At first I almost said it was a Desmognathus fuscus(northern dusky) but I looked at the picture some and I am 99 percent sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back