Black blobby thing in tank water

janice

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Janice
Twice now there has been a black blob in the tank water. When I get it out with the baster, it breaks up. It doesn't smell bad or anything but I don't know what it is. I have no idea what newt <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> looks like but surely not like that. (What DOES it look like, btw?) Maybe I will try rinsing the filter when I do my water reviver thing this afternoon. Hm.
(I have a taricha.)

If it's a black blob sitting on the bottom of the tank and breaks up when you pick it up, then it is newt poo. It's often a round blob with a point at one end.

rotflmao - trying to picture someone who was sniffing newt poop... rotflmao

hehe. well my first thought was that it was newt poo but i did sniff it to see it was foul, cos that would mean something wrong. but if it is poo, why do big and why haven't I seen it before?

It could have just been shed skin.

lol.gif
sniffing newt poo. Sharon thats funny.
lol.gif

Ok we have pictures that help identify males and females.. how about a selection of various poops?

i'm not sure i want to take a picture but a few more have shown up and so now i am pretty sure they are poos. it just puzzles me that it was a full two weeks before i ever saw one. is their metabolism that slow???

lol Janice. I've yet to see my Taricha let off a solid poo and I've had her for a year. Poo breaks up easily and spreads around, so finding one solid is kind of 'rare'.

This has got to be the silliest thing I ever photographed, but I happened upon this after I saw this post so I snapped it. It'll go into the FAQ section soon:

36260.jpg

oh well then, if you will then i will, next time i see one!

What type of newt made that Jen? I've never found one that looked like that. The ones I find resemble those of human, except much much smaller.

This fine specimen came from an adult Neurergus strauchii. But I have seen similar "pellets" from Cynops pyrrhogaster and C. ensicauda. Usually they fall apart before being seen though. Maybe we need a "feces database" to accompany the "species database"
lol.gif

My newtpoo tends to look like little footballs. This is the funniest thread I've ever seen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back