Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Distressed newt

M

michelle

I need a very quick way to cool down my tank without stressing my T.grans anymore than what he already is & he seems very distressed I found the heat on by his tank the temp. is up & the 2 bottles of ice I am using (ones already gone ) are almost gone. Please help!

J

jim

I don't know how quick you need to do it but you could buy ice at a store and put in in a water tight container until you can refreeze your bottles. You could freeze some water from the tank or aged tap water in ice trays for emergency use as well.

J

jennifer

The fastest solution is to move the newt OUT of the tank. Put him in a tupperware-type container with damp paper towels. He can live like this for hours, or even days, until you get his tank back to normal.

M

michelle

Thank you both.
Great ideas. I got the situation remedied very quickly. By the time I got towards the end of the second bottle of ice, he had his back to me and his little bottom literally sitting on the bottle of ice. The culprit who got the hair brained idea to turn on that heater I guarantee won't be doing it again. Thanks guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1