Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Not Eating On His Own

M

marcelo

I have a fire belly newt in my 20 gallon tank with 3 small eastern painted turtles. they seemed to pick on him in the beginning but not really anymore. the only way he'll eat is if i hand feed him. how can i get him to eat on his own? i asked some people and they said that it was because of stress from the turtles....but since they dont pick on him anymore, i dont see why this would be the problem. any ideas?

J

jennifer

Ack! In my opinion, keeping a newt with turtles is a really bad idea. The newt could be injured or eaten, and if it's eaten, the turtle could be poisoned. Please reconsider this arrangement. Even if the newt isn't being actively picked on, the presence of turtles could certainly cause it stress!

The usual reason for newts not eating is that they are staying mostly on land, and the food is in the water. I agree that the stress from the turtles could be keeping the newt from eating. Also, in the water his food is likely to be eaten by the turtles. But if he's hand-feeding, that's great really, I'd say just continue to hand feed. And, of course, get the newt his own tank.

M

marcelo

yeah i was told keeping them together is a bad idea i just didnt have two tanks at the time. i am definately in the process of getting a new tank for the newt alone. certainly tomorrow i will make a trip to the pet store to get a new tank and set it up for him. thanks so much!!!

ali

Reaction score
Thanks for taking this seriously, Marcelo.
happy.gif
If for some reason you can't make it to the pet store tomorrow, or notice something today before you can go, you could maybe find something temporary to put the newt it.

I use large Critter Keepers when I travel with newts, have to move a tank, or something like that. So, if you have something newt safe that will hold just a little water and has a secure lid (with air holes), that would work until tomorrow.

K

karen

Yes, definitely remove the newt, even if you put it in a ventilated plastic container temporarily!! I would bet the newt is stressed from being with the turtles. Try some live food,like live blackworms or bloodworms or chopped earthworm, many newts seem to love these.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!