Shedding

janice

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Janice
I was reading http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQhea.shtml and saw this:
"if the skin comes off in small, flaky pieces, or if the skin gets stuck around the animal's abdomen or legs during shedding, these can be signs of illness."

The first time my newt shed the skin was in one piece. This second time it took ages and the skin kept loosening and then bits of it were falling off for at least a week. Does this mean my newt is sick if she is otherwise eating well and moving around normally?

If all other signs are good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have you tested the water quality (and how long has the tank been set up)? Do I recall correctly that your newts are Taricha? I've never kept Taricha, so I can't give specific advice on them.

Hi Jen! Well, yes she is a taricha. (Name is Newtboy! cos who knows if it's she or he) Anyway, the tank has been set up for ...oh... maybe three months but I'm putting in water really frequently to compensate for evaporation with all the cooling I have going on during this very hot summer. The water is always treated but I have never actually tested it. I saw very early on that Newtboy would not go in the water if it wasn't good and wouldn't go out of the water if the room was too warm. So I am really going by intuition. Not sure what I would do with the results anyway but maybe I should look it up. Might buy a bigger tank soonish and then start from there. Spreading out the cost is a big issue!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back