Worried about my baby

C

carolyn

I purchased two Japanese FBNs from the petstore a week ago, and one has moved a lot less, shed his (or her?) skin twice I think, and now its little bump under its tail looks very sensitive and might even be bleeding. I picked it up to look at it, and it wiggled and fell back into the water and it looked like blood and/or cells (the only word I can think of for it) fell off into the water. The other newt ran towards it then ran away. What happened and how can I help him/her?

Hi there, as Jenn said recent imports are often in a bad state by the time they reach pet shops and often take a lot of work to get back to good health.
Im treating a recent T.Kweichowensis import at the moment which developed a prolapsed cloaca and was also producing a bit of blood. I can only echo what Jenn said about keeping it in very clean/sterile conditions such as on wet paper towels with a piece of drainpipe/guttering as a hide. I would also suggest that the animal sounds like it would benefit from antibiotics, it could be that it has a sore internally though of course this is just speculation.

He has also shed his skin frequently (3 times in the past week, another time last night). Is this a concern?

sounds like it might be a cloaca issue, but without seeing it theres no way to be sure. you can check out this page http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml
good luck
oh and the shedding is not an indication of sickness, but 3 times in a week is somewhat abnormal, but i wouldn't worry about that much

Don't they shed more as an attempt to heal themselves?

If the skin is coming off in one piece, I wouldn't worry about it. Three times in a week is a lot, but the newt has been stressed.

When my C.O. first came to me, they sheded lot of skin as well. I wonder why they do that.

Man I hate pet shops, lol. I honestly believe that it takes one in a few newts to get a good one. I once got four, and only one survived, and that has been the one that has been with me ever since. For about 1 1/2 years now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back