Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swollen larvae

TJ

Reaction score
Has anybody encountered anything like this before with their larvae? These two Paramesotriton hongkongensis larvae have been isolated from the 40 or so others since about a week ago after I noticed their swelling.

3002.jpg

3003.jpg

It's not a bloat-like condition in which the stomachs themselves are swollen. Rather, the skin around the body balloons out and is semi-transparent.

Reminds me of the problem I had several months back with this C.p -- which started as a small lump, then expanded in size and broke, several days after which the poor newt died.

3004.jpg

3005.jpg

3006.jpg

I haven't noticed any spread among the other P.h larvae, and the two problem larvae remain alive as of now. The healthy-looking P.h are now morphing at a rate of 1-2 a day.

TJ

Reaction score
I was sure they were goners...but both have seemingly recovered...
happy.gif

3102.jpg

3103.jpg

I didn't do anything to treat them other than isolate them from the rest and provide slightly above average aeration.

G

greg

What was the pH in their original tank? Had it dipped below neutral? A similar deformity is known for Ranid larvae reared in pH less than 5.0 for extended periods of time. Not every larvae in the tank does it either, just some. Could be genetic in some way. An osmoregulatory problem triggered by acidic water. (????speculation alert!)

In any case, I've seen this in R. clamitans and R. pipiens before, though never in anything post metamorph.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Greg. TKS for those guesses. I haven't been monitoring pH in their original tank but change a portion of the water every week or so and the water is filtered...so quality shouldn't be too bad. I'll double-check though as who knows, it might've dipped. And only 2 larvae were affected. Doesn't look like a deformity though, just a temp condition...? They're looking pretty normal now
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1