Loves the land too much??

K

karen

A few months back, I built an acrylic platform for my eastern newts to increase their land area. One newt has taken to the platform so much he hardly goes in the water. The platform has a little "canopy" for hiding, so he spends alot of time there. He does go in the water, but not nearly as much as he used to. About 90% of the time he hangs out on land now. As a result, his skin seems more "terrestrial" and has changed from the typical bright green to more of an olive/brownish color. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the water, all the levels checked out fine and the temp is normal. He is healthy and has a great appetite. Should I remove the platform to force him to become more aquatic or not be too concerned- is this normal?

(Message edited by fuzzy on April 29, 2007)

Hi Karen...don't be too concerned ,if he's eating and healthy i'm sure he's fine. Leave the platform as the others may use it from time to time..I have ten red spotteds and a couple spend a lot of time on the cork bark i have floating, probably away from the over amorous males...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back