Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ACK! MOLD!

M

mina

Okay, i have some malaysian driftwood made for aquariums in my tank, I have boiled it, but there is white fussy mold! should I boul it again? only the part sticking out of the water has it. HELP!

A

abrahm

I would just remove the wood, scrub off the mold thoroughly, possibly boiling it again. I would also submerge it fully when I replaced it.

J

jennifer

It is common for a "fresh" piece of driftwood to get mold on the parts above the water. After it ages, it won't do that. The mold is not horrendously dangerous to the newts. I completely agree with Abrahm's suggestions.

M

mina

I cant submrege it fully or the newtshave no land! what do do?!?!?

A

abrahm

Can you submerge it in a way so that it is just below the surface? That may provide enough surface area for the newts to climb out.

You could also just keep scrubbing off the mold as it grows until there is no more growth, but there is no saying how long that could go on.

You could also acquire a new land area. An upside down flower pot, a large rock, a piece of corkbark or floating plants like anacharis or hornwort all make excellent land areas. All of these should be quite easy to find and cheap.

M

mina

okay, ill make it just below thewater. and wouldnt corkbark mold too? canI coat in epoxy?

A

abrahm

My corkbark molds underwater actually. I just scrub it off when I do water changes and put it back in the tank. It's a lot easier than messing with a big piece of driftwood, but it could still be a pain.

I'd worry that coating it in epoxy could leach chemicals into the tank. Often times they use harsh chemicals that polymerize to form the bond. These often slowly leach unpolymerized components and curing agents long after the glue has set. I know two part marine epoxy paint has been used in salt water aquariums with no ill effect, but I would do thorough research before putting anything into the newt tank with epoxy on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1