Little questions about Chinese Firebelly

R

ruth

<font face="arial,helvetica"></font>
Hi , i just bought my first firebelly , and after reading different posts i seem to do so far so good - but i still have some questions.
The tank was a gift and 2 swordtails came with it , is it ok to have them in the same tank or should give the swordtails away?
right now i don't have air filter , should i get one? (the tanks about 4-5 gallons and he/she is living there alone)
i have some kind of wood in the tank , got it from petshop, but i think its making water hazy, should i remove it?
quite beginner
uhoh.gif

*wave* Hi, I'm a newb too, but from what I've read fish and newts don't really mix... Swordtails are tropical, so they'll need a higher temperature than your newt. Find them a new home, I think
happy.gif

Ya newts need it cold. 70 F and under. Anything above that can cause them stress and even death. Take the wood out and soak it in a bucket of water for a day or two. Than put it back in. It shouldnt make the water hazy then. How big is the newt? How much water do you have in there with it? I would recommend like 5 inches of water with a gravel gradient that slopes so you can create a land area. They dont need an air pump, but a low flow filter works nice. You shouldnt have much of a current if any at all. Try to break it up with lots of fake plants or real plants and rocks under the filter to create like a waterfall. Good luck. Ask more questions if you have them.

(Message edited by nuggular on January 10, 2005)

(Message edited by nuggular on January 10, 2005)

thanks =)
he's about 4,5 cm.
his land area at the moment is a rock about 1/5 out of water and i have real plants.
the degrees are near 70 F - about 69 or smth like that , but im working on dropping it a little...
still not quite understand the lighting...
& how long does it take for him to get used to new surroundings? as i read it takes time them to go into water in new tanks, right now he just sits on the rock...
otherwise the wood is soaking & fish are gone.

p.s actually i don't know is it he or she...
happy.gif

-Ruth-

oops, 4,5 cm was little too much - about 3-3,5 cm. i think its easier if i upload a photo.
-Ruth-

You could simply include a rock a land area if you wish.

Definetly get rid of those swordtails. They need a much larger tank than a 5 gallon to do well. Your petstore may take them as trade ins possibly.

A corner filter would be an option. This simply hooks onto an airpump

(Message edited by fishkeeper on January 11, 2005)

Joseph, she already got rid of the fish. Read 2 posts above your post. Ruth, those temps are fine. Thats what mine are at all the time. As for lighting, its really up to you. They dont require any. I dont have any on mine right now, but will eventually. I would get a low intensity florescent bulb. No heat bulb is required obviosely. What r u feeding him/her. Live or frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, live blackworms, cut up pieces of earthworm. These are all good food sources. Heres a link on how to sex them, the picture will help out,

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sexing.shtml

(Message edited by nuggular on January 11, 2005)

(Message edited by nuggular on January 11, 2005)

Yea they don't really need any lighting. I have a fluorescent plant light simply because I have some live plants/moss in my tank. My firebellies seem to come out a little more when its darker, but i've heard of the other way around happening too. As for the newt getting used to their new surroundings.. It really depends on the newt. When I got mine, I bought 4 of them and 3 of them were fine, they went around in the water and explored around. But one decided to go on land for about a week. After putting him in the water and feeding him a couple times he got used to it and he now wanders around like the others. As for telling if you have a guy or gal, check out this link, this should help you figure it out
happy.gif

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sexing.shtml

Good Luck with your new newt!

Yo Jon did you not read my post above yours, I already gave her the link to sexing a newt.

got another, so now i have 2 and thinking about getting a bigger tank for them.
happy.gif

i'm feeding them with frozen bloodworms right now, but i'll try some live food soon.
i totally forgot my plants for a minute there @ lightning
dizzy.gif

It doesnt really matter if they eat live or frozen food. Heck if they eat the frozen stuff, stay with that. Its easier to feed them.

sorry about that John. didnt see the link
dizzy.gif

but yea, if u have plants u may wanna look into a plant light of some sort. good luck with ur new newts!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back