Can I take away my firebelly's island?

R

russell

I was wondering what would happen if I took away the floating island I have for my chinese firebelly? He hasn't really been in the water for a month or so. I tipped him in while I was cleaning the tank and I wanted to remove the island I had to clean it. I put a plastic floating plant in instead. This has the advantage (?) of keeping the newt partially in the water. The island I have is called a turtle dock and allows the newt to get completely out of the water. What would happen if I didn't have any island or plant for a couple of days. My suspicion is that the newt doesn't like the water because the filter makes too much current/surge. I am going to set up a smaller tank for the newt only, but haven't worked out the logistics yet.

Also, I have been feeding him(?) meal worms, but I want to try blood worms. Can I just defrost on a spoon and hold them in his face? What about if he is actually in the water?

Thanks!

If you want the newt to become aquatic, yes, take away the island and make him rest someplace where he stays wet. But for now, maybe it's better for him on the island. If there are other animals in the tank, or a heater, he's probably better off NOT in the water.

You can dangle defrosted bloodworm in front of him with a toothpick or blunt tweezers. If he's in the water, he'll probably find the bloodworm on his own.

I use to have the same problem with one of my cfbn. The female just wouldn't enter the water. In the end it seemed the filter was the problem. After removing that one, she entered the water and stayed there (and laid eggs now as well)

I refused to feed her with land food, I always put the food IN the water and just gave her a little bit in front of her nose / or in a little dish filled with water.

My advise seconds Jennifer, try to find out whats wrong with your water. Unless it's a terrestial juvenile this is not normal. And even then you could keep them fairly aquatic.

edit: missed the part in wich you said "filter". Try removing that. If you refresh the water in time, you can do without.

Also, what do you mean by "I am going to set up a smaller tank for the newt only". Do you have more newts in the tank? Or other species?
Other newts are not a problem as long it's the same species. But if you keep it with fish, turtles,... that's more than likely a problem as well.

Thanks all! I am going to try to stay with the floating plant for a little while. I'll try the idea of the bloodworms in a little dish on the plant. If the newt spills them, he can go in and get them
happy.gif

I had a goldfish in the tank with the newt, but I have taken him out. I was thinking about getting other fish, which is why I made the comment about setting up another tank. I have a three gallon tank with a gentler filter which I think I'll move the newt to.

Does anyone have any feelings about which is better: a terrestrial or aquatic newt?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back