Will larva raised wild caught sals be releasable?

L

laryssa

I had been lucky enough to raise three Blue Spotted Salamanders this year from larva/tadpoles. They are all healthy adults now.

My question is, their pond that they came from is of course, dried up, as it does every year. Should I release them near it or near a bigger pond? I have heard this species likes to be in the woods away from ponds when they grow up.

Also, MY BIGGEST question! Will they eat?

I have been feeding them earthworms. Two of them are skittish of me, which I hear is perfectly normal behavior.

But they are the most reluctant to eat (probably because they hate me).

The one I'm really worried about is the one I have named "Dog" because he will come out, and eat from my hand, expectantly, and does not run away from me when I uncover him. Only when he has had enough to eat will he go back under the moss - he is SOOOO cute! Should I keep him? He is the oldest and more developed of all of them but he has always been that way with hand feeding, even since he was still a larva (still not sure if that is the right word).

Thanks so much and remember I'm a beginner
happy.gif

Sorry to be a bother but I'd need a response by tomorrow morning, as I'm going to be going across the state to where their pond was located
happy.gif

And this is probably a stupid question to begin with...but I just worry a lot. Thanks,

Laryssa

Since they spent their whole life in captivity, I would worry whether they will be able to fend for themselves. Also, being tame won't help them! I'd recommend keeping them in captivity.

Oh, no problem Michael, about negativity
happy.gif
Your post was not negative at all. I have ferrets and you should see the 'wars' that go on on those ferret boards! I know I should keep them and I want to. I will keep Dog but the other two are very reluctant to eat. They do but not like dog (wholeheartedly). They tend to spit out food and run away from me. So I worry they are not going to do well in captivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back