Please help. My friends Red Spotted newts died

R

rheann

Ok, I have some questions and some comments. I hope its ok to talk about this since it's a newt and salamander duscussion forum, even though Axolotls are the main topic but I need some help. My friend Had four red spotted salamanders/newts, and he spent ten years just trying to find them. he lives in NC. A painter was painting at his home and somehow, he isn't sure how, paint got into the tank and it killed some of the Salamanders. Only one survived, he quickly changed the water, and cleaned the tank, and the one seems to be doing fine now, and is eating. My First question is, is there some salamander/newt medication that he could give to the newt to help it clean its system out and make it better? My second question is, does anyone know where they sell them and would be willign to ship to NC or know any places in NC that sells them? He has had a great deal of time looking for them, and i want to help him. I have posted pictures so people know what I am talking about.
38116.jpg
38117.jpg

If anyone can help me, it would mean a lot to me. please either email me or post here. Thank you
happy.gif

Rheann, go to this link, and you will see ALL the topics for this forum:
www.caudata.org/forum/

Later today, I will move this thread to the newt and salamander help section.

If the newt is doing OK, I wouldn't bother with trying to medicate it. Sounds like he's doing the right thing.

North Carolina has native newts of this species. His best bet would be to find a local abundant population and collect his own. They would be healthier than ones obtained through the pet trade. Also, collecting his own will actually have LESS impact on wild newts than getting them through the pet trade. The ones in NC are a different subspecies though, so they should not be bred with the one he now has.

thread moved from axolotl forum...

(Message edited by jennewt on June 22, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back