Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

McGooey RIP 12/25/06 - No happy ending...

M

mary

After I posted the Christmas greeting of McGooey, I came home to find her very, very ill. It was quite sudden and very quick. She died in her hospital tank on Christmas day. I decided not to have a necropsy run because it's not going to help her and according to my tank parameters and the so far good health of her tank mate McGlop who I've had since last February, I have chalked it up to her having something seriously wrong with her. They are very delicate creatures.
Take care,
Mary.

(Message edited by mduros on December 27, 2006)

N

nick

I'm very sorry for the loss of your newt.
sad.gif

J

jennifer

After all you did to care for that newt, you deserve a medal! So sorry, Mary. Not all newts are so delicate, I suspect this one had some underlying problem, or was very old.

I

ian

Same here with my rough skin, pheonix. Finally RIP 1 week ago. It has refused to eat many weeks and finally died.

C

cameron

Wow. That sounds really bad. A Christmas nightmare. Are you going to get another one?
We will all miss Mcgooey.
sad.gif

M

mary

Hey thanks everyone. Cameron, I want to get another one, I have found that mine at least really seem to enjoy having a companion. I've had three in the past year and all have been extremely friendly and playful with each other and me. However, I don't think I'll be getting another one unless I can get one that has been tank raised. McGooey was most likely sick when she came to me and that bacterial infection was something she caught in the wild. Plus, had I known that most of these little sweethearts are wild caught and not tank raised, I would have never got them. The species and their environment need to be preserved, not disseminated for the pleasure of me keeping them in a tank.
Take care,
Mary.

J

jacob

I am sorry to hear this as well. It is never good to lose a newt friend. At least you did what you could to help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1