Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I....need to know soon!!!!

ryan

Reaction score
My mudpuppy should be arriving tomarrow and when I add him/her to the tank should I just add the water from the bag it was shipped in to my tank. Just wondering because I don't want to ad God knows what from the water Wards has been keeping it in to my clean water.

R

rodrigo

if you don´t want to take the risk then you could try aclimating it and a separate tank putting the water of the bag and adding slowly water of your cycled tank....
I think after an hour adding water it should be aclimated to the new conditions.
It works with fish...amybe someone else can give you better advice.

ryan

Reaction score
I don't have an extra tank, so what now?? I was thinking about floating the bag its in in the tank for 15 minutes, then adding some water from the tank into the bag for another 15, thats what i do for fish.

R

rodrigo

Don´t you have a plastic container???
or anything waterproof big enough for the animal??Once you have aclimated it...you can just pick it from the container and place it in the aquarium leaving the water in the container, and not mixing it with the tank´s.

J

jennifer

Right, perhaps a clean bucket (never used for detergent or anything yucky). Or a plastic container. Or a really big cooking pot from the kitchen.

For tank maintenance, you are going to need SOME large container for aquarium-only use. I have always had a 5-gallon plastic bucket that I mark "Aquarium only" so my family members don't put soap in it. If you don't have one yet, maybe you should think about getting one. You'll need it for doing partial water changes and for mixing water with dechlorinator.

D

dawn

I can't wait to see a picture of this mudpuppy you've been waiting and waiting for!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1