Found a wild salamander last night

J

jeffrey

We found a wild salamander last night on the wet sidewalk. It was a real deep sparkly blue and about 5 inches long. I live in Pennsylvania so I was thinking eastern newt but looks more like a plethodontidae possibly a colour morph of jordani? What do you think? I hope the pictures works... here they are, Sorry about the quality.
I should mension that we released it after we took the pictures.
II
watermark.php

III**
watermark.php

IV**
watermark.php

V*
watermark.php

<font color="ff0000">Edited links to photos, June 7, 2005</font>

(Message edited by apples on June 07, 2005)

No expert but could it be a leadback phase plethodon cinereus?

Those look exactly like what I caught last year on my father's hunting property here in PA. That's what they were, cinereus.

Probably lead-back phase of cinereus. Long one too. Definitely in upper percentile in terms of size. High ratio of body to tail length could indicate its a female.

However, if you live in Western PA, it could also be Pl. Hoffmani (valley and ridge salamander).

(Message edited by stormcrow73 on June 08, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back