Intermingling Newt Species

N

nora

Is it okay to keep different species together? If so what can and can't live together? If not can I keep Neon Tetra fish with Firebelly Newts?

At school I'm in a Veterinary Program. We've got two corn snakes (mine), a bearded dragon (schools) and two huge empty tanks. We're going to make one a tank for Newts. Someone brought in two firebellys, so we thought we'd get more.

If we can't keep any different species together how many newts can live together? It's a 55 gallon tank, I do believe.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Nora

I'm not fond of the idea of mixing species. And putting tetras with firebellies is also not a very good idea. Because tetras require temperatures of about 26 degrees C. (78.8 degrees F.) And that's too hot for firebellies.

Greetings
~Mark

Ahhhh... Okay, thanks for the help! I just don't want to hurt them. Do you know how many can live together?

I keep dianos with my pachytriton but i've heard reports of fin nipping although i haven't seen it myself

Jennewt-

What kind of snails can I keep with a paddletail? And will he eat the ghost shrimp? Thanks

Ive had great luck with tiger danios in with mine. In cooler temperatures they seem to be very docile and the two species hardly acknowledge each other's presence.

Any small snails are fine. Just avoid the large ones. I've heard of a large snail on the glass pulling in, and pinching a newt's limb against the glass.

A paddletail would *enjoy* sharing a tank with ghost shrimp, but the shrimp would probably disappear. If you can buy them cheaply, though, they'd be a good feeder/tankmate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back