Fire bellies-help!

J

jennie

I have two CFBs, and I noticed today that it looked like they were fighting. I got worried, so I separated them. I'm not familiar with what they look like when they are mating, so if that's what they were doing, I want to know. But it looked like one was biting the other one and they were rolling all around the tank. After I got them apart the one that looked like it was being bit seemed a bit down, it didn't move much. I'm going to keep them separated for now. Please help me with this, I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks in advance.

First, are you absolutely sure they are CFB (like the one in your photo)? It sounds like one was biting the other for whatever reason, but this is not common behavior for CFB. It isn't mating. In any case, I doubt that one could hurt the other.

hi jennie did you feed them before this happened justin

they could be paramesotriton. the males just love to fight and they have fire bellies too. how big are they?

I'm pretty sure they're both CFBs. They look exactly the same, and from what I've read, they are the same thing. I hadn't fed them beforehand, and they're both about 3-4 inches long, including tail. I put them back together and nothing has happened, so I don't know if that was a fluke or what. Also, I don't really know what a Paramesotriton is, so I don't know if that could be it. Thanks for the help!

From what I can tell from the pictures, they are both CFBs. They both have the smooth skin and stuff. They haven't done that again, and I moved them into a bigger tank, so maybe that will help if they were feeling a little cramped. Thanks again, you guys have been a big help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back