Question: FBN not eating

C

chris

So my firebelly newt isnt eating
I have tried numerous kinds of living and non living foods
i have tried putting a small amount of carotene vitamen powder on his and getting him wet
i've done the same for calcium vitamen powder
my other firebelly newt is just fine
this happend to my firebelly toad
he died 2 weeks later
what should i do to get it to eat
i've tried putting him in a seperate bowl to get him to eat something
and both my newts are Never out of the water and there is good land mass in my 10 gallon tank
heres my tank
url]

Just a guess, but bloodworms are some of the best "smelly" foods there is, as well in chopped earthworm. you can try tweezer feeding cricket that have been scented with bloodworms, and also, where is the newt spending most of its time, on land or in water?

I've had the best luck with bloodworms for my firebellies as well.

Your tank looks really nice though! The only suggestion I have is if you could make the water current not so strong, but I don't see why that could cause it to not eat unless it is under stress.

Good luck with the worms!

I have tried in the past with blood worms
but the newts never seem to eat them all up and
they melt right away and make a huge
mess of the floor of the tank
but i will try the blood worm sented crickets
and i have moved my filter/pump to make less current and lowered the water level and made more land mass, but they still seem to always stay Underwater.
an

When you feed blood worm, you should always defross it first. they are supposed to be melted away then you feed them with sperate blood worm. Since that way you can have a better estimate of how many food you are feeding. If you just put in the cube, you will provide too much food and make the water turn bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back