Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppy care info needed

A

aaron

Hello, i want to keep a mudpuppy(s). i need some info, i cnat find any caresheets. i ned to know what would be a good habitat, i have a 33 gal aquarium.

R

rob

Good to see you here Aaron.

This fellow Canuck needs some help. I know some of you on here have kept Necturus, so if you can help him out in anyways that would be great.

T

travis

I am definetly not the leading authority on Nectrus but I would reccomend a slightly bigger tank. 33 gal is probably a bare minimum size for a single N. maculosus.
N. punctatus are likely small enough to work in your tank though.
Keep them in cool and clean water with plenty of hidespots.
-Travis

A

aaron

oh, too small?
sad.gif

maybe ill skip on keeping them in a tank. I do have a pond, it has some goldfish in it, and tons of tiny minnows th at i thnik he would eat, there are some bullfrogs, and crayfish in there, its 5.5 feet deep, it has a waterfall, lots of floating and surface plants, and lots of hornwart.

and whats is a N.punctatus

R

rob

Hey Aaron,

Go back to kingsnake and read all the resons I gave you for not putting it into your pond.

N. punctatus is another species of necturus. Go to http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/ go to the species database, and go to Necturus, and you will see all of the different ones.

A

aaron

uhoh.gif

i went to caudate central and i cant find Necturus in the species database.

I only wanted to keep a mudpuippy because they are local to me, unprotected, and i know where to find them. I like the look of axoltols, but i dont know of any place where i can get them
sad.gif

anything else i should consider keeping? im a novice, i dont want a fully terrestrial setup.
iver kept red backed salamanders with success, but i want to change from a terrestrial setup.

K

kaysie

aaron, the necturus are here: http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/caresheets/CS/PROTEIDAE.html

but you shouldnt keep something just because you can. if you're unable to care for them properly, they'll suffer, and could possibly die. and thats not good for them, or you. but if you could find a canadian source of Tarichas (if they're legal in canada, i'm not sure) they're good newts to have, and you could keep TONS in a 33 gal
happy.gif

N

nate

That link isn't for caresheets actually, only photos. Nobody has written caresheets for Necturus yet.

R

rob

Taricha are legal, and I'm currently working on setting up a breeding colony of Axolotls, if you'd like to wait for those. It all depends where in Canada you are though.

R

rob

Hey Aaron,

My name is Rob St. John, that's not where I'm from. I'm from Windsor, Ontario.

There are caresheets for Taricha Granulosa on caudatecentral.

A

aaron

Amazing, would you be selling those axoltotls when theyre in full swing?

R

rob

I would be willing to sell or donate my axolotls once they are in full swing, but this could be another few years still.

A

aaron

ahh, no problem, im not rushing into this stuff, theres a huge world of herps. Im in london, just a little FYI, also, where are you getting your axy's?
ufo.gif

R

rob

I'm getting my axies from a individual who has access to them who wants my P. waltl in trade. Just waiting for them to get back to me with all the info to firm it all up. With you in London it shouldn't be any problem getting you some Axolotls as that's only a 2.5 hour drive from Windsor.

K

kaysie

Nate, i said that the necturus were there, as he couldnt find the link. but no, there are still no caresheets there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1