Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to do if your going on holiday?

B

billie

I really want to get a italian crested newt, and I'm going threw all the issues that might prevent me from getting one. What can I do when I go back home for the winter, or away for a weekend? Is there an automated feeder I can get if I get it used to a dry or dead food? Or can I take it for a 1hour journey on the london underground? I really want a newt but I have to think about it's comfort.

B

benjamin

Well Your newt probably won't eat dead or dried food, and trying to force it to with an automated feeder will just dirty the water and possibly even kill it. Live and frozen foods are the way to go. Being cold blooded, newts don't need to eat that much or that regularly. They can go a good to weeks without food fine and you could make them go for longer but that's really pushing it. If you have a well matured tank there can often be tons of little daphnia and other small animals to give them a tiny amount of nutrition. The best thing to do is to get a friend to feed it while you're gone.

W

william

if you are only going away for a weekend then you don't need to worry, what i do if i go away for a week, is to give them a big feed before you go and they'll be fine, but to be honest you don't even need to do that.

B

billie

That sounds great! Thanks for your help. Hurray I can get a newt, just found a place localy that has baby crested and marbled, the marbled ones were just so adorable that I had to reserve one. Just got a tank too, going to set it up during the week then go back to get the newt on my way to university.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!