Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FB Newt eating behavior change

S

sandra

My newt froogle has always had a verocious apetite. I always take him out of his tank and put him in a small container to feed him live blackworms. He takes his first mouthfull within seconds. I brought him back home (1 hour away from school) for spring break. Usually when i do this he will not eat for a few days while he gets readjusted. This time however he had not eaten for 2 weeks. I offered him food every day the same I used to feed him and would not eat anything. I even offered him uncooked shrimp and he refused to eat it. I put him in his tank again and dropped a piece of shrimp right in front of him. Within seconds he ate the piece, which i was amazed cuz he just wouldnt eat. I threw in a few more pieces of shrimp but did not eat anymore. It seems like he is always looking for food at the bottom of the tank on the gravel. I have also put some of his live blackworms in there but i havent seen him eat them. He passes by them and does not even attempt to eat them. I have no idea why this sudden behavior change. How can i get him to eat again ? I have gravel so the live worms i put in his tank hide very well. Should I try putting frozen worms to see if he eats that? Or what should I do? He always ate his live blackworms when i feed them to him in a different container, and after trying for 2 weeks every day, he has refused to eat them. He seems healthy other wize. Nothing physically wrong with him and he swims around and seems like he has lots of energy. Spends some time in and out of the water as well.

F

foster

Sandra,
Try chopped earthworms or really small slugs. Also, if it appears healthy otherwise I would not worry a great deal at this point. Sometimes animals will go off feed for a short bit. Another suggestion would be to keep feeding in the permanent enclosure and not transferring to another container. If it is ill and/or stressed then moving in order to feed may only add to this stress.
Chip

ryan

Reaction score
Whats your temp? You said he is very active, this could be do to warm temperatures and not feeding. I agree with Foster on all of his accounts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!