My newt does not submerge!

A

alexandra

Hi there, I recently adopted Izzie, a Taricha granulosa and I noticed that he never submerges. He just floats on the water. I just raised his water level to about 8 cm. He had been kept in a tiny tank with about 2 inches of water for a number of years. I have never seen him submerge to the bottom of the tank. He does swim around actively but always stays on the surface. I read that this species of newts prefers deeper water levels. Any suggestions anyone?

If he's been kept in these conditions, his skin may not have adapted to water yet. If you notice a more robust skin, rather than a smooth skin that's it. It will adapt to it's new conditions. Just make sure it can climb out very easely, it may drown as long as it's skin is not full adapted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back