Hydras and larvae

G

garrison

Hello, I know this may have been asked before but has anybody figured out how to effectively get rid of hydras without killing anything else? I have some in my main newt tanks but since I have eggs now I'm worried about them getting into my egg/larvae tubs and harming or competing with larvae for food. Even if anyone has dealt with a similar situation please feel free to share you thoughts.

I believe certain species of larval salamanders can actually eat hydra? So the problem may take care of itself.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone has a solution for this. I read about some fish that eat hydra, however, that's not really an option when trying to rear newt larvae.

Maybe the snails mentioned are an option.. if you can find em.

I'm also having the same problem in my Axolotls tank. I'm going to try the heating method. I read up about this on another website.

I just need to get a good sized aquarium heater
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back