Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help my new paddletail will not eat..

A

andy

I got another paddletail a week ago and I cant get it to eat. I have tried bloodworms and brine shrimp (both frozen), and I have tried what the bait shop calls spikes (fly larve, they look like small waxworms). My other paddletail and my 2 t. grans eat all of these things. BTW it is in its own 10g tank.

J

jim

Try some chopped nightcrawlers, the smell makes them go crazy. I had one that would not eat food unless it saw it moving. Try giving the food a wiggle and see if that helps.

A

abrahm

I have to agree with the chopped nightcrawlers. They have both movement and a palatable smell. One or both should entice the newt to give it a taste.

Are the two newts together? Is one being aggressive to the other? The newt that isn't eating may be stressed by his cagemate since paddletails are quite territorial. If the enclosure is smaller than a 20L I would recommend removing one of the paddletails as there probably isn't enough space for each to setup a territory without bothering the other.

N

nicole

I hold the earthworm in my hand so my paddletail can see it move through the glass. Once his tail starts swaying quickly I hold it in the tank until he grabs hold. Sometimes he'll take it right away and sometimes it takes a minute or so. I believe it was Jim who told me that they are sight-based so make sure he or she sees the food!

A

andy

I was going to try the earthworms to begin with, but the local bait shop was out. I plan on stopping by there on my way home. And yes it is in its own tank, my other paddletail is quite aggressive.

A

andy

I got some earthworms, and it just looks at it turns its head and walks away.. Now what?

A

abrahm

There might be some housing issues also. Is the water kept cool? Does the newt have sufficient hides so that it feels comfortable? How long did you leave the worm in the tank? It may need a while to "discover" that it is a food item, or to feel comfortable eating it.

A

andy

The water is about 66 degrees and it has a hide that it is quite fond of. I left the worm in the tank for an hour and a half. My other paddletail has almost the same setup (temp, and decor) and it'll eat anything I put near it.

N

nicole

Ok, I know some people will say that it is messy, etc but have you tried ReptoTreat's whole bloodworms in a nutrient-rich gel? You can get it at practically any pet store. They come in 16 little packets which you rip the tops off and then squeeze into the tank. When I first got mine and they wouldn't eat, I would squeeze some onto their heads/mouths. They had no choice but to try it and ended up eating any little bit they found in the tank. Of course, now they eat earthworms but still get the packets as a treat.

A

abrahm

I would say keep your paddletail dark. No harsh lights, try to stay out of the room as much as possible, don't flip on bright lights and just give the newt time to settle in and acclimate. Continue offering food and eventually he should take it. Unless he looks really thin I wouldn't worry much about it yet.

A

andy

It is pretty thin. I finally got it to go after a piece of a worm, but it seems like it can't swallow it. Maybe I'll try the ReptoTreat's.

A

andy

Well my paddletail died today. I could only get it to eat a couple of small pieces of worm since I got it. I tried waxworms, earthworms, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, ReptoTreats, pellets, and even dried bloodworms, but it just refused it all.
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!