Taricha torosa availability in San Diego?

B

brian

Hi everyone, can you please aid me in finding a place to purchase some california newts? I live in San Diego, California and have already gone to the exotic pet stores in my area and spent a good amount of time searching the internet for them. I would love to acquire this species again and cant find them anywhere. Even if a petco back home in NJ carries this species they will not ship it, making my quest much more difficult. Any help would be very appreciated.

In CA Taricha are not offered in petstores...I believe it is illegal. Oddly enough they are captured and sent out to other places just fine though.

True it is illegal to sell CA natives in CA, and to collect them for export with the intent to sell. Most Taricha seen on the market are from OR which allows the legal export for sale. It might be more interesting to go out and observe some in the wild and maybe collect a couple (you'll need a CA fishing license). You can find them right there in town if you put some effort in to it.

(Message edited by Rust on December 02, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back