C.orientalis help

R

rodrigo

I got these pair of Cynops the other day....they looked plump and really nice. I put them in a quarantine aquarium as soon as i got them home. I gave them some bloodworms and at least one ate a bit.
The problem is that the next day they were out of the water....and they still are. When the fall in the water they get histerical and desperately try to reach the land.
I had one some months ago i got as a present and it all started like this....it stopped using the water, and developed an infection that ate a leg. I tried to treat it with diluted betadine and slightly salted water, but it died.
So now i´m worried for them. They are the nicest looking ones i ever saw in a shop and i would hate to see them become ill.

So any tip on how to prevent any infection? or what to do to make them aquatic again???
They don´t eat out of the water, nor in the water, since they float and the food is in the bottom.
Maybe i´m being too paranoid but i don´t wanna risk them. any help would be awesome, thanks.

I noticed their fingertips are now white looking. The male has a brownish/redish spor in both arms too.
The white thing in the fingers look exactly as the ones my other newt had.

I think they are developing limb rot.
How do you treat it???
I´ve been doing some research but i didn´t find any specifical treatment for limb rot.
Should i put them in the fridge?? salt baths? betadine??
Any help would be more than helpful...please...
I don´t want to loose these ones for limb rot...it´s extremely cruel to see how they loose an entire arm.

I feel your pain Rodrigo. The problem seems to be that cynops from petstores just don't seem to be able to fight off limb rot, be it stress or just bad care. The red spot is a normal marking though, don't worry about that. I would keep them in a cold setup, and not over handle them. if they are stressed, then it won't help at all and it may be worse then if you left them alone.

I have not heard of anything working besides salt baths, and melefix, which is some sort of anti-biotic which i have never used. and then I always ask myself if it was me, would I rather want my arm cut off and risk it not growing back, or leting it rot off and risk dieing from the infection? Not that I am suggesting you amputate the newts limb, but if it was my arm rotting off, thats would be thinking. Especially if there was a good chance it would grow back.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on December 04, 2006)

I read this post earlier, but wasn't sure what to answer. As Jeff says, I feel your pain, but nobody has ever posted any convincing procedure for getting C. orientalis through this, and I have no personal experience. The things you mentioned are worth trying, but I can't promise they'll work. I've also heard of using antibiotics, but I can't say that would work either. Keeping them really cold may be the safest, and possibly best, thing you could do.

As for feeding them on land, you either need small live food, or you have to feed them from a tweezers. The best bets for tweezer feeding are bits of earthworm, or thawed bloodworms. Good luck!

i have had this happen to most of my orientalis within a few weeks of obtaining them.

Like Jeff said, it could be from stress since a lot of these little guys are imported and have to be crammed into packaging and get shipped over seas.

Disease spreads in boxes of imported Cynops orientalis the same way apples rot. Just one ill animal can infect the rest. Then again, I have had my fare share of orientalis that have lived for several years, it's all luck and followed by good husbandry.

-good luck with them!

Rodrigo:

I am going through this right now with some pet store C.O.

I bought 4 about 3 weeks ago...one was ill the others looked ok. The sick one had a sore and limb rot that got progressively worse.The newt really did not do well in quarantine.Salt baths and melafix only seemed to stress it.

I put it down yesterday.

Now a 2nd newt has a sore and is getting listless.I'm not going to do a salt bath..but I may try the fridge. It's not looking good.

The two remaining ones seem well and are pigging out.I'd say sores on pet store C.O.'s are close to a death sentence.

I must have got lucky with my first 2 CO 4 years ago.They were ill and skinny when I got them. Yet they ate and grew and are still going strong.

Good luck with yours.

GE

thanx for all the kind words.
They look stable. They still avoid water as if it was fire, but they´re white fingertips seem to be disappearing. They are both with the dry and smooth kind of skin. I´m still worried that they refuse water so much, but they seem to be ok.
The female ate some bloodworms from the twezers yesterday. The male showed no interest.

Now another problem....i study away from home and now i have to go home for 5 days....i didn´t expect it but i have to go. I´m considering to put them in the fridge. I thinik it would be way better than leaving them in a room temperature terrarium with no food. But i don´t know if it´s a good idea to put them in for 5 days and then wheni´m back take them out again...
What would you do????

(Message edited by azhael on December 05, 2006)

Maybe they are avoiding the water because they are juveniles, or the water might be of poor quality. If neither is the case, you could still search around here somewhere and you might find some info about how people get their terrestrial juveniles to become aquatic, and use something similar to get your guys aquatic.

I think refrigeration would be preferable to leaving them without food for 5 days if they are still fighting off something. Whether it helps them fight limb rot or not, refrigeration is still pretty safe. They seem to handle changes in temp okay, and water (even a little bit) will help to make the temperature change more gradual.

I decided to leave them in their terrarium....
I should have put them in the fridge....damn...
They looked ok when i left, the white fingertips were gone and they were rather active. The female ate a bit.
They were still rather plump so i guess they could handle 5 days of no food.
I don´t know what will happen when i get back but i hope they´ll be ok...
Oh and they are adults, actually i think the male could be nearing breeding phase.
I´ve been reading as much as i can, and i think the problem is the water...i didn´t cycle it properly...i had the quarantine setup ready a week before i got them, but being only water and some floating bark there were no proper cycling.
I have a nice setup for my pair of bombinas, their water is about a month and a half old.
Would it help to add some water from the bombina´s tank to the newt´s one??? you know...to add bacteria.

(Message edited by azhael on December 06, 2006)

Hi Rodrigo,

At this point, it may not make much of a difference as the tank has already begun the process (and in most cases, the less its messed with the faster it goes).

Ed

Yay!!! They are ok!
The male is aquatic again and feeding well on earthworms.
The female is still terrestrial but she looks ok. She has eaten once, today she tried to bite the worm but suddenly gave up.
I have their setup ready...i still need lots of plants but it´s quite ready for them in two days , once the water is clean of gases, etc.

I had a newt who flatly refused to become aquatic for weeks, water would freak him out completely. the water was just fine and my second newt was fully aquatic. i was very worried as he kept becoming very dry looking and wouldn't eat. my setup had a large island with a little cave he just loved. I eventually started just slowly raising the water level. i would worry him at first but he would get used to it. after a week or so when the island was completely submerged, he was just fine. It's like you have to teach your WATER newt to swim. He's been fine ever since.

I got some Japanese Firebelly newts today! They are young juveniles and they are avoiding the water right now and crawling under their stump. They are all looking great except for one (I have Four). It doesn't look good. (I'll post some pics of it later) One of its back legs is completely twisted and while its foot is in the air it walks on its knee. (surprizingly it can still walk well so it must of got used to walking on its knee like that) Also the tip of its tail and the middle of its tail is cut pretty bad. I looked at it with a handlense and luckily did not find any sign of infection. Should I wrap the tail gently with a towel or some so that germs can't enter the body so easily? Thanks for any suggestions!
sad.gif

By the way it still eats well and was the first to eat its tubifex worm today so it must of felt good enough to eat in his new aquarium!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back