T.verrucosus floating instead of sinking???

J

johnson

Hi,
some of my T.verrucosus seem to float while swimming instead of sinking into the water. They seem to struggle to the bottom but they can't. Is it a problem??

Thanks

What are you feeding them? I noticed one of mine seemed to have boyancy problems after eating lots of wax worms. It could also be they have been set up dry for awhile and the water level needs raised slowly so they get accustomed to swimming. I had to do that with mine. It took about 3 weeks before they were swimming like champs.

Thanks for the info. I just got mine so they aren't eating yet. Informed by the seller that he was keeping them with min water level so I guess that is why some of the salamanders have boyancy problem. Will try your method.

Michael,
how do you feed them if they are not going to the water?? Mine, I threw in some mealworms which just float around and a small dish with tubifex worms. Is it alright for them??

Thanks

When they are not going in the water I feed on land. If necessary I put them in a seperate tank for feeding. I have been feeding waxworms and earhtworms. The slow feeders I fed like I used to do with snakes. I'd put the salamander in a little hiding hut and put the food in.
My guys that are swimming will eat earthworms and some eat salmon pellets in the water. They rarely eat waxworms in the water. They seem more appropriate for feeding on land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back