Salamander trying to get out??

T

thepassionwagon

Hi All
I have just changed my soil in my tank of which I keep 4 Salamanders. The soil is damp and I have a large water tray and yet they are trying to climb the sides of the tank to get out. I dont think that its due to them being to hot, so is it because its a change of soil for them?
Any help is appreciated.

Steve

The change of scene might cause them some stress. Are there still enough hiding spots for them?

Yes there is lots of moss, but I will keep my eye on them and hope they will calm down.
Thanks
Steve

This is not unusual right after a soil change. My fire salamanders did the same thing when I changed the tank. I suspect they will settle down in a day or two.

Make sure you have a tight fitting (ideally a screen) lid on the tank since newts and salamanders are good climbers. Sadly,I've lost a few escapees in the past. You may want to add some climbing rocks for them in the tank. I've found my newts attempt to climb the tank less now that they have things in the tank to climb on and explore.

And my CO morphs also do the same thing as well. I think it is very common.

Thanks for your responses. They have started to settle down, although its a bit of worry at 1st.

Cheers
Steve

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back