How big should 3 wk A. maculatum be?

K

karen

My two larvae, sadly the only survivors out of the 20 that hatched, seem very small. I'm not at all sure they are eating well although they have live blackworms and frozen bloodworms available.
The larger of the two is nearly an inch long; the other is noticeably smaller. I'm guessing that this is not normal growth rate, but I was wondering.

Get them smaller live food, such as brine shrimp or daphnia. Blackworms are too big yet, and they wont see the frozen bloodworms as food because they're not moving. At 3 weeks, 1" or so is a pretty good size.

I was looking very closely - and they have legs! Tiny little almost-transparent front legs!

I don't have any way to get daphnia, and I tried brineshrimp but they were messy and the larvae disn't eat them. I'm trying a microworm culture which I should be able to harvest soon. Until then, the blackworms and bloodworms are all I have.

Well, then I'd keep trying with the blackworms. If they're getting front legs, you also need to watch for cannibalism if they're not the same size. But keep trying!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back