Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you stop....

H

howard

How do you stop insects from going under ground in your tank. If I have the eco jungle mix and then some moss on top, how do I stop wax worms, or black worms from going out of the dish and going in the dirt. Then the sallie wont find them and eat them. I assume the crickets will stay on top of the dirt and be okay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

J

jennifer

One solution would be to feed the sallie in a separate container. Besides that, there is no way to stop them.

Be VERY careful regarding the blackworms... they will foul the soil big time. Putting pebbles in the water bowl and using a bowl with higher sides will help keep blackworms in. But in general I wouldn't recommend using blackworms in a soil-based setup because of the fouling issue.

H

howard

What about wax worms are they okay? How do you stop them from going underground and fouling the soil.

S

shaun

Waxworms don't generally rot once they dig into the soil. Just keep an eye on them until they're eaten, try hand feeding, or use a food dish - they're lousy climbers.

M

mark

Crickets will also dig. When I get earthworms, I just let them burrow, and them it provides a nice snack for my sals randomly when the worms pop their heads out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1