What are the rules on handling newts?

K

kelly

I just got my first newt from my boyfriend and he said the pet shop worker was letting it crawl up his arm and such. I'm just wondering if I can handle him and how ad if there's anything I should do, besides wash my hands? I want to get a good look at him so I can decide definitely what type of newt he is... my boyfriend was oblivious and didnt quite care exactly what he was..... he just knew i never had one and i'm into reptiles and amphibians... can anyone help me?

It's not recommended to handle them at all. If you REALLY must, make sure your hands are super clean and moist.

handling should be left to a minimum-it can become necessary when vetting, but other than that it really shouldnt be done-treat a newt as you would your own eyeball,.. salts, lotions, nicotine, oils etc will all irritate it-more so on the newts with smooth skins. i wash my hands before handling them to ensure i dont hurt them with the bacteria and irritants i come across, i also rinse off the soap real well (i use non scented antibacterial dish soap as my hand soap) and then keep my hands wet-sometimes wetting them with their tank water before i pick one up..afterwards it is best to wash hands because of the toxins and bacteria they may have left on your hands, it depends on your newt as to how much toxins they could give you, but if yours is a taricha they can be deadly toxic! i know of a report of a scientist who went blind for 3 days in one eye after handling a sal (i think it was a slimy)then rubbing his eye

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back