Food Suggestion for FB newt

B

bethany

When I did the paper towel quarantine to my newt for the disappearing hand, she stopped eating. She was eating red worms fairly well while under water but they were all clumpy with I tried to feed her on land.

Well, I can't find any black worms local, the wax worms were far too big, and it's too darn hot and dry to dig up earth worms.

So, when I was at the pet store picking up some more feeder fish for our crayfish I mentioned the newt and the store clerk suggested trying one of the minnow.

SURE ENOUGH, it took a little teasing and coaxing but down the hatch it went. It was a small "white cloud" minnow. I was so happy she ate, it had been about 4 days.

So, for those of you struggling, give it a shot.

By the way, the newt now has a white spot on it's hind leg. It is using a stump of a hand now. Poor thing. I'm going to keep it in the paper towel set up for awhile, especially since she's eating!

I think the fact that she's eating is a good sign! Also, have you considered cutting up the waxworm in smaller pieces? Another option is to try a local bait shop for earthworms. Some people here said you can get earthworms in either Walmart or target or one of those stores. Good luck- and the arm will regenerate!

I suppose it's a good thing that it ate *something.* Have you seen this page of "Food items for captive caudates"? http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

It lists feeder fish as poor with tons of disadvantages. Don't get me wrong, it's better than nothing though! Maybe you can find other things on that page to help.

Good luck and I hope for your continued success. Getting a fb newt to come back from something like this after being newly purchased doesn't have a very high success rate.

I do have one suggestion. You said that she *was* eating the red worms fairly well. When you feed her, raise the water in her quarantine tank enough that the red worms are under water, then just change some of the water (and lower the level) after she's done eating.

Thanks Ali, that was very informative. I just which I could get my hands on some earthworms; I'd rather not buy some which my be compromised. It's suppose to storm all day tomorrow. Cross your fingers for a soaker!

I tried moving her to a tub with water in it, but she was so freaked out by the move that she was more busy trying to figure out where she was than eating.

I could raise it in the quarantine tank, but there is papertowel in it, it would be rather difficult.

I think I'm going to just hope for some serious worm action tomorrow!

Could a small FB choke on food too large, like a wax worm? Or would it just not go down?

I'm not sure if it could choke on a large worm or not. If i gave my t. gran a piece of worm that they thought was too large, they would just spit it back out.

About the feeding tub not working out for you...I've got the same problems with one of my c.o. Try again and place the newt in with a little bit of water and the food already in the container, put something over it so that the newt cannot escape. Place it in a darker area somewhere without light shining on it and leave it there for a few hours. (I peak around the corner to see if mine has eaten sometimes.) See if that works for you.

Sometimes my c.o. goes weeks without seeming interested in food, so I do that once in a while. She remains quite plump but just doesn't feel like eating sometimes and that usually works for me. If I don't do that, then she freaks out in a new dish too. Very skiddish. Good luck again.

Also, many people on here buy their earthworms, I wouldn't fret over it too much. I'm glad I could help, and will continue to do so.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back