Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fan Shrims

A

a.

Can anyone think of good some reasons why NOT to keep FAN shrimps in the same aquarium with the newts(Fan shrimps are said to be harmless to fish, they are filter feeders) ?
Thanks
D

A

abrahm

The only problem I could see is that your fan shrimp is probably tropical. At the temperatures newts thrive at, they will most likely die.

Depending upon the size of the newt and the size of the shrimp, you may have just purchased a small meal for your newt.
happy.gif

A

a.

Hi Abraham,
Thanks for replying.
So far I have neither newts nor fan shrimps... My tank is up and running,but I am still waiting for newt availability and generally am still in the thinking/designing stage. I have considered that point you have risen; the temperature in my tank can drop to below 5C sometimes. However, sellers advertise their fan shrimps as 'hardy'. I wonder if anyone had any experience there?

A

annmarie

Hi, I have some fan shrimps, some Atya Gabonensis.These shrimps are hard to breed, but I plan to get something going.

There are several kinds of fan shrimps. A few common ones on the market are Atya Gabonensis and Atyopsis Moluccensis. Also, I know some people in Europe who have aquired Atyoida Pilipes.
They need to be kept above 20 degrees usually.
I would not keep newts with these shrimps due to being from differnt environments. Also, if you have anything against Wild caught creatures, all fan shrimps pretty much are wild caught, for no one has been able to breed them to a commercial level in captivity. Their young go through a larval stage that needs various levels of salinity to develope.

I find shrimp do best in "shrimp only" settings. If you want shrimp with newts, there are other options that would work a lot better than fan shrimps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1