Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with a Pyrrhogastor juvenille

A

andrea

I'm not sure if any of you remember me, but earlier this year I aquired an adult P. Hongkongenisis and posted a few pics of him and such. Well, a few days ago I found him dead and stuck to the filter. I'm not sure if he died from being stuck to the filter or if he was just old, because he hadn't been looking too good for the past month, but he had been eating. I also just moved recently and it could have possibly been the stress from that. I'm not sure. He also could have been very old, for I had not idea how old he was, only that he was an adult.

Today, I got what I believe is a juvenille C. pyrrhogastor. I know it's a pyrrhogastor, but not sure about the juvenille part. He is definitely aquatic, but also seems to like staying on the rocks more than my hongkongenisis did. He is definitely of the hiroshima variety, for his belly is mostly orange with black spots and that was the only listed with spots. He is about 2 inches long and a dark black, and very smooth. Not sure if he's male or female. If he is a juvenille should I lower the water level a bit? Also, they had pinhead crickets in the tank with them, and the attendant said he had seen them eat them. My other newt ate mostly feeder fish and ghost shrimp, so I'm a bit lost on what exactly to feed. Also, should I remove the filter and get a smaller one, incase that could be why my other died? SO CONFUSED!!! Please help with any information other than the care sheet you have!!! Thanks so much!!!

(Message edited by ladyeadaoin on December 28, 2003)

E

eddie

Water level can be lowered to atleast 3 inches,but if you have a land area and the juvenile is comfortable it doesnt really matter how deep it is,as for the filter try an air filter connected to an aquarium pump,ive fed juvenile newts live blackworms or tubifex worms even on land,pinheads may be too fast for it to eat or may jump in the water and drown.Frozen bloodworms also work.

A

andrea

currently, i have the water level at about 4 1/2 inches, and he's gotten out fine and swam about quite a bit. I couldn't find the frozen blood worms I had last time in the petstore i went to, so I bought a carnivore mix by the same company that included brine, tubifex, and blood worms. As soon as he got in the water from the rock I had set him on he ate nearly the entire block. His tummy was quite chubby when I bought him yet he still ate quite a bit. There is still a live feeder fish in there from my other newt (I went ahead and left him in after cleaning the tank) as well as a cleaner fish that I haven't seen since i put him in there. The feeder fish is way to big for Spot (his name since he has spots on his belly) to eat, and doesn't seem to bother him at all, so maybe they'll be fine. I put a bit of fish food in there for the feeder since I didn't want to be cruel and let him starve.
happy.gif
That would be mean. (My mom and I were just watching him and he took another bite of the food, so he's not afraid to eat with an audience, so i should be able to hand feed him!) He's quite a happy little newt!!! I'll keep you posted! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
love.gif

J

jennifer

Hi Lady,

I'm very sorry to hear about your warty newt.

Why do you think it's a pyrrhogaster? With the mostly-orange belly and smooth skin, I would guess it's C. orientalis (Chinese firebelly). That's also more likely as they are more common in pet shops.

What kind of filter is it exactly? I doubt that the filter caused the warty newt to die, unless the current was strong. You do NOT want a current in the tank. If the new newt is eating and the temperature is cool, it should be fine.

A

andrea

He does have the arched back and the fairly short tail of a pyrrhogaster. I'm trying to get hold of a digital camera so I can get some pics of him up. It is a posiblity that he is orientalis, but I know I won't be sure until i get some pics up. It's a whisper filter, a basic waterflow type one. Doesent seem to be a very strong current at all, but I'm going to see about geting an undergravel filter very soon. Does anyone know an easy way to install an undergravel filter without disassembling then entire set up?

Thanks again!

J

jennifer

I wouldn't say that pyrrhos have a shorter tail. Post pictures when you can.

The biggest problem with a waterfall filter is that it's hard to seal up every crack around it. Firebellies (both kinds) are excellent climbers of glass and will escape if given the slightest chance. I think you have to disassemble the tank to put in an UG filter. I assume you have seen this site:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

A

andrea

It wasn't one that hung over the side of the tank, but one that suctioned to the side, but i have replaced it with just a bubble stone and a little disposible carbon filter that Lee's now has out. I think as long as I do regular water changes and keep my little alge eater (which i still can't find) in there i shouldn't need anything but the bubble stone to ariate the water. I have the holes for the cords/air tubes taped up really well, and he should not be able to get out. Thanks again!

J

jennifer

I see, a submersible filter. It should be fine to use that, as long as the outflow is diffused. In fact, it would be better to continue to use it I would say.

I still think that the odds are STRONGLY in favor of your newt being a C. orientalis. Both Petsmarts that I have been to in the past year sell newts that they label as JFB, but the newts are actually CFB. I think Petsmart just does not recognize CFB as a separate species.

A

andrea

mmmm.... i'm starting to think you may be right, but he doesn't have a rounded tail, it is definitely pointed. I'm gonna try to borrow a digital camera tonight and post pics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1