Shedding Cynops orientalis

A

amy

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I am new to the Newt keeping hobby, but I have been keeping frogs and tropical fish for quite a while. I have done much research on my newts before purchasing them, and so far so good! I have 2 Cynops orientalis, i bought them about 2 months ago, and they seem very happy and healthy. I have followed the directions I read here for their housing, temperature, feeding, etc. I only have once concern:

One of my newts seems to shed it's ever 5 days or so. I know that shedding is normal, but is it normal to be so frequent? Also, he seems very lethargic and unable to move his limbs for the few hours while shedding. Once finished, he is fine, but I wanted to know if something is wrong that would cause this. Stress? All of the water parameters are A-OK (remember I keep fish and am obsessed with perfect water!), any other ideas?

Thanks in advance! I am looking forward to a long future in this hobby, and this website has definitely helped me find much needed information!!!

If you are keeping/feeding them well, I would say this is within the range of normal. When a newt is eating well and actively growing, it sheds more often - I don't really have a number for HOW often. They often cannot move their legs properly while the skin is coming off, so that sounds normal too. As long as he's eating well and looking normal the rest of the time, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for doing your homework, and I wish you continued good luck with them!
happy.gif

Thank you for the good advice! I am glad it is just a sign of growth, not illness! They are doing very well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back