Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cloudy water, recommended filter?

justin

Reaction score
Ok I just got a Fluval 1plus and it came with foam inserts for the filter. They do not make the carbon filter for the 1plus (only the 2plus and higher models). Is it important to have a carbon filter for my Fire bellies? The water is a little cloudy when looked @ from the side. Could this be because the filter I have has no carbon in the filter? (it is just plain plastic)

What is a recommended filter that you guys recommend that is small and can still do the waterfall effect that I have setup now (http://www.darksyntax.com/newt/new_setup/ pics here)? That also accepts carbon filters.

L

lenora

Is this a brand new tank? If so, the cloudy water is very common and will go away soon. You don't really need carbon in filters. Carbon is only active for a few days anyway. You do need some sort of filter media, like the foam inserts your filters came with. When you change the water take out the foam and rinse it off as well.

J

joan

I disagree with Lenora. When you cycle a tank, you'll get rid of the cloudiness. Cycling a tank involves growing beneficial bacteria in your filter media. If you take this out and clean it, you'll get rid of these beneficial bacteria.

justin

Reaction score
So i dont need a carbon filter? Yes this tank has been setup for only about a week. What the guy at Petland told me to do was to cut open the middle of the foam insert and put carbon in the middle, is this effective? Are you positive that all I need is the foam pad? What is the "cloudiness" caused from? Also where does this "beneficial" bacteria come from if I do not have any living plants in my tank?

I was going to return my fluval 1plus and get the fluval 2plus but I am worried about the stronger current (even though it has an adjustment on it) any ideas? I only was going to do this because of the carbon filters I can buy for it.

P

pamela

Justin,

I use the Fluval internal filters also. I put a carbon pad in the center of the "basket". When you clean the filter, should you have to wash the bio foam pad, rinse them in the original aquarium water. The purpose is to just remove any clogging detritus in the pad. You won't kill the beneficial bacteria this way. Throw out the charcoal pad and insert a new one.

For cost efficiency, I purchase the Fluval 4 charcoal pads and cut them to size. You will get twice as many, or more, charcoal pads as you would if you bought the Fluval 1 charcoal pads.

Also, I do use the Fluval 2 in my 10g tanks. I just adjust the water flow.

The cloudiness will go away when your tank has cycled. The cloudiness is a type of bacteria bloom. Live plants will help your tank balance nicely. Also, you need something living, or something dead, in the tank to jump start the cycle. I put my newts in right away, monitor the water, and do partial water changes. Not everyone does this though, it is your call.

Good luck.

J

jennifer

I'd say stick with the Fluval-1. If you really want carbon, do what your shop guy suggested, or just put a piece of stocking with carbon in it somewhere hidden in the tank. The Duetto DJ50 accepts a carbon cartidge and runs a waterfall, but I think you're OK with what you have.

Some sources of tap water cloud up initially for no reason. It isn't necessarily a bacterial bloom. If the water tests near-zero for ammonia, you're fine and just stick it out, it will clear up.

justin

Reaction score
So should I get the Fluval 2plus and use the carbon filters or should I keep my current one and try to cut the 2plus carbon pads to fit my filter?

P

pamela

Hi Justin,

As Jen mentioned, the Fluval 1 should be just fine. Yes, get the larger carbon filters and cut to size. You may even take a look at the Fluval 4 pads and see how many you could make out of them. It may, or may not, be more cost effective.
happy.gif

justin

Reaction score
Ok I went and just got the normal foam filter and put it in the tank. I also rebuilt the entire thing since I bought some live plants (java moss and bamboo). The water was less cloudy than before but was still kind of cloudy. I decided to add a little more of the cholrine/amonia stuff that you are supposed to mix with the water. I did it because I didnt think I added enough. Now the water is much clearer. So I think it was just a bad mixture on my part. I am also going to leave the tank alone for a week so that it can build up some bacteria on the foam filter.

Two last questions for now.
For bamboo and java moss do I need to buy a UV light?

Also now that I put the moss in (it is mostly in the corner by the pump) they seem to sit in the corner on it and I cant get them to stay away from the waterfall and the pump (see pics below)? Also only one of them seem to want to explore the tank or hang out underwater, any reasons?

http://www.darksyntax.com/newt/new_setup2/

(Message edited by serox on June 06, 2005)

G

grant

Ive had java moss in my axolotls tank for a while with no type of lighting at all except a small window to the left of his tank. It has been growing fine. And I'm not sure about bamboo but I don't think it requires much light because bamboo isn't going to do a whole lot of growing (except from its leaves). But You probably won't need the UV light.

justin

Reaction score
Anyone know why one of my newts basically lives in the water, one stays on the land, and then the biggest stays on the same piece of land and does not eat (yet i fed him the first time, 3 days ago, with no problem)?

D

danielle

Could be a possible bullying problem, but I doubt it.

Looking at the pictures of your tank though it seems you have juveniles. Most are going through their semi-aquatic/terrestrial stage at this time.

(Message edited by nubs4breakfast on June 08, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1