Disease in Larvae stage?

I

ian

I am currently raising some Cynops Orientalis larvae. In one of my small container, I have got some larvae started floating up to the surface with air bubble in the stomach. Is this some sort of disease?

I have decided to euthanasia them. However, it still seems like the whole group of larvae from the same container are infected. I will have some picture to be posted later.

Ian, if you go to:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/cgi-bin/search.cgi

...and search the words "bubble" AND "stomach" you'll find some relevant posts
wink.gif

It can be caused by a number of things, it can be a disease, it could be that they need food, or sometimes if they're stressed they'll swallow air, there are probably a ton of other reasons to. I'm not so sure that you should euthanise them, because if the newts are stressed they will probably end up passing the bubbles and recovering. I had one cynops orientalis which swallowed air as I moved it, it stayed floating for several hours but then sunk back down.

Sadly larvae can succum to a variety of diseases, and this last year I lost all of mine to what I belive to be an infection.

I see. Thanks for the sharing. actually. I kept a few un-euthanised. And today it turned out their bubbles are gone.

I wonder why they swallow the bubble. Werid.

That is sad that all your larvae died off from an infection. YOu have any experience you can share that help preventing that happening again?

No, unfortunately I really don't know what happened, although pathogens could have entered the environment in a number of unavoidable ways, such as through live food.

The most common reasons for a "mass die-off" of larvae are water quality or non-live food. However, even with good water, sometimes the whole bunch will go belly-up within a few days, and this is caused by something infectious. I was able to stop one such incident by using fish antibiotics, but usually by the time one realizes what is happening it's too late.

is it true that the larvae will belly up with bubbles in stomach when they are very stressed?

I've heard many cases of larvae getting bubbles in the belly. I'm sure that SOME kind of stress is involved, but I haven't sorted out what kind (water, food, or what). It has happened to me only once, and I don't remember exactly what the conditions were.

The bubbles strike back. lot of my biggest larvae have lot of bubbles in their stomach.
I suspected that I might have feeding too much or feeding brine shrimp that were too unhealthy.
I took those heavily bubbled larvae out and place in a small container with a thin layer of water. To do so is to allow the larvae floating on the top (top side down) to be able to eat the brine shrimp at the bottom. It turned out it is helpful to get them eat healthy brine shrimp in abundant number. I will update later on this curing method.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back