Where can I find Tiger Salamander Larvae?

B

brooke

Hey everyone! I am new to this amphibian board. I am a Junior Biology student at a college in Georgia. Right now I am trying to begin an project raising Tiger Salamanders. Part of the project is to observe and record notations about their morphing into the actual Salamander. I have been researching and have discovered that they are sometimes called waterdogs, and also mistakenly called mudpuppies. I also hear that some bait shops in the Texas/Oklahoma area sell them as fishing bait. I am looking for some REAL Tiger Larvae. I don't want already morphed tigers, I need them in the larval stage. I also know that they have 4 toes in the front and 5 toes on the back and mudpuppies do not. Mudpuppies remain in the weird aquatic stage their whole lives and never morph. Please tell me where I could possibly find to order/purchase some of these larval tigers (and are they correctly called waterdogs?)

Thanks!!
happy.gif

I believe Carolina Biological Supply will sell them to students for scientific purposes.

If your in the SE it is probably illegal to collect them due to there protection (depending on state). Larva aquatic tigers have been known to stay in the aquatic stage and never or delay their morph. Although, I believe that is rare in captivity. Carolina biological supply should be able to provide tiger larva, but after they reach adult or terrestrial form, do not release. The spread of disease is a serious risk, esp in the SE tiger populations and if you were to obtain them from bio supply, they wouldnt not be native to your locale.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back