Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP PLEASE!

T

the_newt

I was wondering if there is a chance of turning a fire-bellied newt terrestrial? I mean like it would still have water and all in like a bowl, kind of like a tree frog set up. I've heard that people's FBN like staying on land, and I would like to have a land dwelling newt/salamander.

E

ester

I guess you can force an animal to do a lot, but whether they enjoy it or not..

If you want a land dwelling newt, why not buy one that prefers to live on land like a tiger salamander?

T

the_newt

Well beacuse I don't know where to get them. Petstores around me do not carry any type of newt or salamander at all. I have only found one store which sells BFN. If I knew where to get more then I would have started with a more land dwelling newt/salamander in the first place. I also do not live near anywhere that I could catch one from the wild. I have tried, but no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful. I really am interested in newts and salamanders so thats why I ask about having the FBN on landish environment. I already have fish and an aquatic frog so I wanted to try another tree frog(my last one just died). But now i'm thinking of experimenting with newt/salamander keeping.
If anyone lives in British Columbia and knows a place where newts and salamanders are sold please let me know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1