Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing Morphs back to water

I

ian

I have recently started to introduce the morphs back to water. They first morphed in October. I thought maybe bring back them to water will be easier to feed and clean up.

However, it has been 3 days, but when I feed them chopped earthworm, they failed to show any apetite. I think this might be normal for them to take some time to attempt this new change. But I would like to hear your experienced suggestion.

Thanks

J

jennifer

Are they actually *in* the water, at least some of the time? If so, then good going! Try other foods, like live blackworms or bloodworms.

I

ian

They are partially in the water some of the time only, cause I have a lot of java moss in this 2inches high water. Too bad that my area have no live aquatic food like that of Blackworm or bloodworm.... How amazing that a big city like Toronto have no blackworm.

Yup. I see some of them have black wet skin, and they are shedding skin as well.

(Message edited by achiinto on May 24, 2006)

J

jennifer

You should be able to find frozen bloodworms. Although non-moving, they might like the smell and small size better than the earthworm. You might also want to try holding the food in front of them in the water (either earthworm piece or bloodworm).

I

ian

I have been trying the holding earthworm in front of them method. But they still reject my food. They used to be the best eater and healthiest among my morphs. Dont know if I should be more patient or just return them to land?

J

joseph

It might take a few days before they start eating underwater...keep trying. If things don't work in a week or two personally I'd return them to land. Currently I have 1 Cynops orientalis morph in the water feeding readily. The funny thing is that it is the younger one...the older one even though over twice the little ones size eventually reverted back to being terrestrial.

I

ian

They are doing good now. And they even started to bite eachother. But I still have to handfeed them. Too bad.
happy.gif
Thanks

J

joseph

LOL. I usually just drop the worm pieces in front of them and let them have at it...although in the water it often takes several tries as the worms like to roll around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1