Paramesotriton Chinensis--will it eat all my fish?

I

^imp^

The fish in question are white cloud minnows and hillstream loaches.

I think the fish should be safe, but what do you all think? I have little experience with newts, and I have read that p. chinensis happens to be a very capable swimmer.

^iMp^

do you mean Gastromyzon punculatus?. It might be too big and would swim away pretty good I would think although it is like a "pleco" right, not a catfish but is a sucky bottom dweller? Even a pleco would swim away fairly quick. The Tanichthys are very fast and the warty shouldn't be able to catch them.

Although this type of fish could suck on the warty and make it mad/stressed/or even hurt him maybe at 3".

Just to add: Wartys are aggressive and will "try" to eat what ever they sniff that could be food , even each other.

Did you pick these fish because they can stand 65F?

Cataldo

Sooner or later the newt will get to them, that's only my opinion though.

My fuzhongs really enjoy fish, and will go crazy with the smell. I got one eating with a dead fish!

ages ago, i put a weather loach with them, and within a day, i had to take it out, as it had bites all over it.

Also, be careful, a lot of ground dwelling fish have some nasty spines, it may put the newt of eating them, but it could easily cause serious damage, not really worth the risk.
Wi8th the white cloud mountain minnows, its likely that the newts will just hang around, waiting for one to go past.

One more problem, is that the newts may be in feeding mode constantly. It takes 1 worm to get all 6 fuzhongs to go round sniffing/biting everything than moves

AJfr0ggy

I'm not completely sure what kind of hillstream loach it is, but its definitely a Gastromyzon sp. Its surprisingly fast (faster than the minnows when it wants to be). From everything I've read, the loach will not suck on other fish/newts--they strictly eat diatom algae and (if desperate) algae wafers. They have literally no defenses except their camouflage, exceptional vision, and bursts of speed.

The tank is a 20g, heavily planted with a decent current flowing through it. There is currently one loach, four minnows, and I plan on introducing a single warty newt sometime later this year.

edit: I chose these fish because a) they do well in cooler water, and b) they will not harm/harass the newt (even if the newt does harm/harass them)

^iMp^

(Message edited by Imp on January 25, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back