Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found larvae now what?

S

steve

Hey everyone, I am a first time poster, having questions in regards to some salamander/newt larvae I have found. Some appear to have legs, others not? I am familiar with frog and toad metamorphasis but not of any caudata. How should I house them? Should they be seperated? Currently they are in a quart jar with duckweed, and other plants that I found where the pool they were found in was, Filled with water that they were found in as well, pending water tests. I do have a Reverse osmosis system that I use for misting water for my reptile collection, would it be ok to use the water out of the R/O system? What should I feed them? They are tiny. If I were to post a picture, can anyone try to identify them? I live in northern Indiana, and I'm not 100 percent sure, but I don't think they are tigrinum larvae, leaving this forum for our state's oddballs minus the mudpuppies and siren intermedia nettingi which I am sure it is not the latter. And finally....feeding. Are the larvae herbivorious like I have raised frog tadpoles in the past, or should I consider a more carnivorous diet? I do have access to live bloodworms and wingless fruitflies, or do I need smaller prey?? Sorry for all of the questions....Thanks in advance!

Steve

E

ester

1. it's 100% carnivorous - water fleas, the smallest ones should work. Live food, they don't go after anything that doesn't move.
Btw, what do you call tiny larvae? less than 1/3 of an inch? They can handle bigger food like red mosquito larvae once they get past 2/3 of an inch.

2. Development, front legs first, shortly after the hind legs follow. They like to eat lots and the bigger you get them in the water, the better their chances are after metamorphosis.

3. I'd get more pond water for an aquarium. Tap water can contain harmful chemicals. I know nothing about reverse osmosis so I can't answer that..

Good luck!

J

joan

Ester, in the US, we have standards for our tap water (even if you have well-water), and they are safe for human consuption. If you do use tap water, and live in a municiple area, make sure you treat for chlorine/chloramines. You can call your local water treatment center to ask what they use. The problem with pond water is that it can sometimes contain predatory animals, such as dragonfly nymphs.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml this article should give you a good head start.

S

steve

Joan, Ester, thank you so much for the heads up. I am in the process of working a few things out and will post pics tomorrow on my day off.

Steve

J

john

Make sure you keep them well fed lest they turn cannibalistic and eat each other.
uhoh.gif

S

samantha

I found a red spotted newt baby and i dont know what to feeed it!!! help please

J

jennifer

Samantha, read the information at the link given above by Joan. The basic deal is that they have to have tiny LIVE (moving) food. You'll find lots more info in that article.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1